- 49ers GM Trent Baalke tells Cam Inman that CB Will Redmond did not use up the team’s short-term injured reserve spot since he was never activated.
- However, Baalke added that there aren’t any other options for it.
- According to Albert Breer, the best-case scenario for Bills C Eric Wood (Broken Leg) is a 6-8 week timetable for recovery.
Browns Pro Bowl LT Joe Thomas explained that the new front office regime just didn’t value the center position all that much, which explains why Alex Mack departed for a big-money contract with the Falcons this past March.
“The new analytics people didn’t really value the center position very much,” says Thomas, via Greg A. Bedard of Sports Illustrated. “They much more strongly value the outside players. They feel like building a team from the outside in is how you do it. You value your tackles to some level, but they really value receivers and cornerbacks and DBs. For Alex, I’m guessing it was, I’m the best player in the NFL at my position. Somebody’s going to pay me to be the best player in the NFL at my position. Why would I stay in Cleveland for somebody who doesn’t want me that much, for a team that doesn’t seem to be making progress? I want to go somewhere that’s got a quarterback, a lot of pieces in place, and maybe I can be the final piece of that puzzle.”
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said that he expects QB Russell Wilson to be “back to normal” in the next couple weeks. (Bob Condotta)
- Carroll also said that RB Thomas Rawls will not play against the Patriots this week, but is shooting for a return against the Eagles. (Bob Condotta)
- Steelers HC Mike Tomlin told reporters that running back DeAngelo Williams is having his knee examined today, while WR Darius Heyward-Bey is dealing with a sprained ankle. Tomlin also added that QB Ben Roethlisberger may be limited tomorrow. (Aditi Kinkhabwala)
- According to Jeremy Fowler, both LB Bud Dupree and TE Ladarius Green have a chance to play this week.
- Tomlin mentioned that C Maurkice Pouncey had surgery for a dislocated thumb, but still may be available to play on Sunday. (Aditi Kinkhabwala)