- 49ers have listed RB Carlos Hyde (foot) as out and WR Anquan Boldin (hamstring) as doubtful for Week 9. (Joe Fann)
HC Mike Pettine said on Friday that he is not prepared to name a starting quarterback for Week 10 against the Steelers.
“We’ll talk about that early next week,” Pettine said, via Jeff Schudel of The Morning Journal. “I think given the three games in 12 days and not having had a break yet this year, we’re all going to hit the pause button and get away for a little bit.
“I already met with the coordinators this morning. They have a list of things that we’re going to come back and meet on. When Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) and I get together, that’ll be one of them.”
“Those are coaching decisions,” Pettine said. “We’ll make the decision each week based on, as I’ve said all along, who gives us the best opportunity to win.”
Pettine went on to say that the team will continue to evaluate both quarterbacks, but that he will not hit the “reset button” on the season just yet.
- Jason La Canfora reports the Giants will decide on whether they will activate Jason Pierre-Paul (hand) for Week 9 on Saturday.
- Canfora notes that Pierre-Paul has been “impressive” during this week’s practices, and that he will be surprised to not see him start.
- C Ryan Kalil said on Friday that he expects to start in Week 9 and play the entire game, after missing last week with a high ankle sprain. (Joseph Person)
- According to Nick Underhill, the Saints tried out LB Jason Trusnik before electing to sign LB Mike Mohamed earlier this week.