- Matt Maiocco of CBS Bay Area has spoken to league sources who aren’t certain whether Vikings assistant GM George Paton would even accept the 49ers’ GM position if it was offered to him.
- Maiocco’s sources described Cardinals VP of player personnel Terry McDonough as “fiery,” “opinionated,” and “passionate.”
- A Cardinals’ source added that McDonough is “fearless in his evaluations” and helped the team identify mall-school prospects such as RB David Johnson, WR John Brown and DL Rodney Gunter in recent years.
Buccaneers WR Mike Evans mentioned that he isn’t worried about his contract situation right now.
“I’m not worried about that stuff,” Evans said of a potential contract extension, via PewterReport.com. “It’ll come, but I’m mainly focused on getting better and helping this team win.”
Evans will be entering the final year of his rookie contract in 2017, but the Buccaneers will, obviously, pick up his fifth-year option that will extend his deal through the 2018 season.
- James Kratch of NJ.com points out that Giants GM Jerry Reese hasn’t traded up in the first round of this year’s draft since he’s been in charge and he doesn’t think they are really in a position to change this in 2017.
Kratch admits it’s possible the Giants could try to sign WR Odell Beckham Jr to an extension this offseason, but his guess as of now is that they will pick up his fifth-year option and hold off on a deal for now.
Kratch says he would be “stunned” to see HC Ben McAdoo give up play calling next year, but admits McAdoo will likely consider all options to improve them.
- Rich Tandler of CSN Mid-Atlantic doesn’t think Redskins HC Jay Gruden is really on the hot seat, despite some recent speculation.
- However, Tandler admits that a 4-12 season or even a 6-10 year could put his job in danger, particularly if it appears as though he lost the locker room.
- Even so, Tandler doesn’t think it will be a playoffs-or-bust situation for Gruden in 2017.