- 49ers HC Chip Kelly said QBs Colin Kaepernick and Blaine Gabbert will split first-team duties “right down the middle” during training camp. (Matt Barrows)
- 49ers LB Aaron Lynch said his violation of the league’s substance abuse policy was a result of drinking too much water: “It came out unreadable. I’ve already been in the program, so that’s (suspension) the next step.” (Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area)
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said it’s possible the team only keeps two quarterbacks on the active roster, given the amount of position battles currently going on for the offense. (Mike Jurecki)
- Arians went on to say that it’s a possibility for the team to keep four tight ends on the active roster. However, the fourth-team tight end will likely compete with the third-string quarterback, fourth-string running back and No. 6 receiver for a roster spot. (Josh Weinfuss)
Texans DE J.J. Watt said he doesn’t have an exact timetable for returning to game action after he underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back.
“I can’t put a solid start date on when I’m going to be able to play,” Watt said. “Never missed a game in my five years. In 2012, I missed all of training camp and didn’t have a problem there. Don’t see this being a problem and I don’t plan on missing my first game now, but I can’t promise it.”
- Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson is set to earn a $280,000 roster bonus on Tuesday by being on the team’s roster five days after the start date for training camp. (Ben Goessling)
- Vikings DT Sharrif Floyd will also earn a $465,000 roster bonus, while CB Xavier Rhodes will earn a $390,000 bonus. (Ben Goessling)