- 49ers GM John Lynch announced he has hired former Lions GM Martin Mayhew as their senior personnel executive. (Matt Maiocco)
- Lynch went on to detail his and 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan‘s responsibilities moving forward: “We committed to truly making it a partnership. Kyle has control of 53. I have 90, FA and draft,” via Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area.
- Although Shanahan said he made a commitment “a long time ago” to hire RBs coach Bobby Turner from the Falcons, Shanahan “really wants” former RBs coach Tom Rathman to remain with the 49ers. (Matt Maiocco)
- As for the 49ers’ defensive coordinator vacancy, Lynch said he has spoken to candidates with backgrounds using multiple schemes. (Nick Wagoner)
- Stephen Holder does not think the Colts will re-sign OLB Trent Cole and G Hugh Thornton this offseason.
- Additionally, he does not expect Indianapolis to make a “ton” of roster cuts due to impending free agents entering the open market.
- Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News believes the Jets signing QB Jay Cutler would be a “disaster” for the franchise due to his poor locker room leadership and how it would affect QBs Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.
- Mehta writes that he has not spoken to any evaluators who believe Clemson QB Deshaun Watson is worthy of a top-10 pick, while “most scouts” he talked to view him as a second-round pick “at best.“
- In the end, Mehta does not think the Jets would use the No. 6 overall pick on Watson.
Impending free agent WR DeSean Jackson said he would like to re-sign with the Redskins this offseason.
“I want to be here,” said Jackson, via Rich Tandler of CSN Mid-Atlantic.
Jackson intimated that he could want a multi-year contract and that “the ball is in my corner.”
“Now the ball is in my corner a little bit,” said Jackson.”I can sit back and say, ‘Let’s see what we can do. Two-year, three-year, four-year deal? Maybe a 10—ha!”
It is worth mentioning that the Redskins reportedly feel Jackson is “too inconsistent” to extend his contract. (NFLTR)
- The Saints announced that Curtis Johnson has been hired as their new senior offensive assistant/WRs coach and Ryan Nielsen has been hired as their defensive line coach.