- Despite releasing LB NaVorro Bowman on Friday, Cam Inman of the Mercury News believes the 49ers’ defense is ascending. Inman mentions that the 49ers’ new defensive scheme required Bowman to be more mobile than he was in the past.
- Inman writes that 49ers RB Carlos Hyde had his carries decreased last week because he fumbled a pitch and missed a blocking assignment on back-to-back plays.
- Inman “wouldn’t be stunned” to see backup QB C.J. Beathard play in Week 7 if the 49ers struggle on Sunday.
- Should 49ers DB Eric Reid be medically cleared, Inman expects him and Jaquiski Tartt to split duties at strong safety. Although, Inman wonders if Reid could see time at linebacker now that Bowman is no longer with the team.
- Colts TE Jack Doyle has cleared the league’s concussion protocol and will play in Week 6. (Mike Wells)
- The Patriots have ruled out CB Stephon Gilmore (concussion), RB Rex Burkhead (ribs) and DE/LB Harvey Langi (back) from Week 6. (Adam Schefter)
- Cameron Wolfe of ESPN expects the Titans to use a more balanced approach to their running game between RBs DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry and suggests that they will split carries “60-40” in favor of Murray.
- Titans HC Mike Mularkey said first-round WR Corey Davis (hamstring) could return for Week 7: “When he’s healthy, we’re going to get him in there. We’re not going to – the extra week would be great, but if he’s healthy, we’re going to go with him.” (Jason Wolf)