- Jason Cole says that 49ers QB Blaine Gabbert is leading the quarterback battle, but only by default, as Colin Kaepernick has missed all offseason workouts while recovering from multiple surgeries.
- Kaepernick has been cleared for training camp and HC Chip Kelly is very intrigued with him.
- Cole adds that while Gabbert is in the lead right now, it won’t be surprising to see Kaepernick take meaningful snaps this season.
“He is having care right as we speak. We’re well aware of that. It’s very disappointing, but again, it does point out the difficulty you have with addiction. There’s no question that he needs the kind of help and care he’s getting right now. So that is disappointing, but we’ll see what the days bring with it.” (Jon Machota)
- According to Adam Schefter, the Cowboys will be subject to a fine in the range of $250,000, due to thehaving three players suspended this year. This is based on last year’s club remittance policy.
- Jaguars HC Gus Bradley said first-round CB Jalen Ramsey (knee) is medically cleared, but the team will be careful and monitor his progress. (John Oehser)
- Bradley also noted that Ramsey will work inside at nickel during camp.
- Jeff Howe reports that the Patriots will have a roster exemption for S Nate Ebner while he’s participating in the Olympics.
- Patriots HC Bill Belichick said that it’s the team’s “priority” to get QB Jimmy Garoppolo “ready for the start” and that Tom Brady will return the starter when he comes back from his four-game suspension. (Ian Rapoport)