- Jason La Canfora reports that the 49ers are prepared to re-open their GM search if need be.
- According to La Canfora, Kyle Shanahan will likely get control of the 49ers’ roster and personnel if/when he accepts the head-coaching job.
- Gil Brandt mentions that he was told during the Falcons’ training camp that DE Vic Beasley was in jeopardy of either being traded or outright cut after a disappointing first.
- Beasley clearly responded resoundingly and lead the league in sacks during his second year in the NFL and has been a big reason for their defense’s turnaround.
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers mentioned during his press conference following their loss to the Falcons that they need to “reload” a bit next year.
“We need to reload. I don’t think we need to rebuild; we need to reload. We got a lot of players who are young. … We just need to reload a little bit this offseason,” Rodgers said, via NFL.com.
Rodgers singled out TE Jared Cook as one player who could be at the top of their list to re-sign this offseason.
“I think we had a lot of great contributions this season from guys we didn’t expect starting the season out,” Rodgers said. “You got Geronimo Allison, who had a very big year for us. Aaron Ripkowski was fantastic. Jared Cook, I think needs to be near the top of the priority list, the way that he played this year. The offensive line, keeping those guys together was a big part of our success. I’m really proud of these guys. We battled. We had our backs against the wall for eight weeks in a row and won some big games. We just came up a little short.”
- Packers CB Sam Shields told reporters after Sunday’s loss to the Falcons that he’s still dealing with headaches from his concussion. However, Shields did say that wants to play again: “It’s not over.” (Rob Demovsky)
There are conflicting reports about the Redskins signing former 49ers HC Jim Tomsula as their defensive line coach.
- Carol Maloney of NBC4 reported Tomsula has reached an agreement with the team on Sunday and noted that he has prior experience working with new Redskins DC Greg Manusky.
- However, Mike Jones of the Washington Post reports that there is “no deal done” between the two parties as of now.