- 49ers’ undrafted rookie WR Bryce Treggs is undergoing an MRI for a possible MCL injury. (Cam Inman)
- Inman guesses that Treggs will be placed on the injured reserve at some point in the near future.
- Bill Williamson writes that CB D.J. Hayden has a “stranglehold” on the slot corner position ahead of T.J. Carrie.
- Williamson also says that RT Menelik Watson has a firm lead over Austin Howard for the starting right tackle role.
- Although, HC Jack Del Rio said Watson and Howard are still competing for a starting job: “It’s going well. Both guys have had good camps, staying healthy. We’re happy about that. I think it’s great to have Menelik back. He brings a little temperament, a little athleticism to the position. Obviously Austin filled in and did a great job for us last year. That’s been a good competition.”
Ravens HC John Harbaugh mentioned that Josh Johnson is making a strong case to beat out Ryan Mallett for the team’s backup quarterback job.
“You look at the two-minute drive at the end of the half, he (Johnson) just operated it really efficiently,” Harbaugh said of Johnson, via CSN Mid-Atlantic. “He got us to the line, he got the plays called, got everybody in the right spot, made throws. Then later in the game, guys got covered a little bit more, he was able to find space in the pocket and protect the football while he did it and used his legs to make plays. Critical third downs. Close the game out. I just thought he was very poised. He was very accurate with his throws. He is making a case to make this team. There is a competition for that spot. It’s been ongoing through training camp.”
- Mike Jones reports that there has been no significant update regarding Redskins RB Matt Jones.
- Sources have told Jones that he’s “doing okay,” and the belief remains he will not miss significant time, but there’s still no firm return date.