Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that the NFL currently is reviewing Raiders OLB Aldon Smith’s case under the substance-abuse policy with his pending DUI charge being the focal point of the review.
However, Florio adds that Smith’s charges of vandalism and hit-and-run won’t create any significant problems because the accusations don’t involve violence against a person.
The problem for Smith could be related to alcohol consumption, which would be a violation of his treatment plan under the substance-abuse program. Florio mentions that Smith is already in Stage 3 of the program, any deviation from his treatment plan could subject him to a one-year suspension, even without a failed alcohol test.
One other interesting note from Florio: The Jaguars and Buccaneers offered roughly twice as much money as the Raiders did for him to sign.
- According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas suffered a hand injury during Sunday’s game.
- Renck mentions that Thomas is likely to get X-Rays on his injured hand.
- Broncos RB C.J. Anderson said he sustained a sprained his toe, per Renck.
Browns QB Johnny Manziel said his elbow felt a “little bit” tight during today’s game against the Jets.
“There were just a few bites here and there, just a little bit of tightness,” Manziel said, via Akron Beacon Journal. “But other than that, for the majority, to go all the way through the game, it really didn’t bother me that much.”
- Texans HC Bill O’Brien said he’s unsure if Brian Hoyer will remain the team’s starting quarterback. (Tania Ganguli)
- O’Brien said that RB Arian Foster does not have a good chance of returning next week. (Tania Ganguli)
- Texans TE Ryan Griffin suffered a sprained MCL during Sunday’s game against the Chiefs. (Aaron Wilson)