Home / Bears / NFL Notes: Bears, Giants, Redskins, Saints, Vikings
NFL Notes: Bears, Giants, Redskins, Saints, Vikings
- Michael C. Wright of ESPN throws some cold water of the idea Mike Shanahan being the perfect guy to get Jay Cutler back on track. He points out that, in three seasons with Cutler, the Broncos never made the playoffs and posted a record of 17-20.
- Wright believes trading Cutler is a “viable option” for the Bears and he even expects there to be a trade market for the quarterback
- Interestingly enough, Wright mentions that two of the head-coaching candidates to interview for the Bears job a few years ago told then-GM Phil Emery that they didn’t want Cutler as their quarterback.
- According to Wright, the Bears are likely to be a little cash strapped due Cutler’s contract, which will likely impact their pursuit of top-tier free agents like DT Ndamukong Suh.
- Dan Graziano writes that if DE Jason Pierre-Paul is determined to test the free agent market, then franchising him may be the Giants best way of ensuring he’s back in 2015.
- According to Graziano, the Giants have every reason to be concerned about signing Pierre-Paul to a long-term deal, given that he’s dealt with injuries and inconsistent play in recent years.
- Graziano believes the Giants could ultimately get a deal worked out with free agent S Antrel Rolle.
- Graziano can see the Giants adding at least one veteran pass-rusher during the offseason.
- As for the offensive line, Graziano would consider using their No. 9 overall pick on a left tackle if he felt they had a chance a franchise caliber player.
- John Keim mentions that DBs coach Raheem Morris will be considered for the team’s defensive coordinator job, even though their secondary has been a real issue.
- According to Keim, there was some concern in WR Pierre Garcon‘s camp about his future with the team as he has a cap number of $9.7 million next season.
- Keim has spoken to players on the Redskins who believe half of the roster will get turned over next year.
- Mike Triplett mentions that 49ers’ cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Chris Culliver are both “solid possibilities” for the Saints to consider in free agency.
- Triplett writes that the “ideal scenario” scenario for the Saints regarding guards Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs would be for them to accept pay cuts with New Orleans drafting and developing future replacements.
- Ben Goessling of ESPN writes that it’s in the Vikings’ best interests to pursue a young middle linebacker such as Bengals LB Rey Maualuga this offseason.
- According to Goessling, there’s still a chance that veteran LB Chad Greenway could return next year, but it would have to be at the right price.
- Goessling mentions that there’s a good chance DT Tom Johnson will be back next year.
Tags Antrel Rolle Ben Grubbs Chad Greenway Chris Culliver Jahri Evans Jason Pierre-Paul Jay Cutler Mike Shanahan Ndamukong Suh Perrish Cox Pierre Garçon Raheem Morris Rey Maualuga Tom Johnson