Home / Bears / NFL Notes: Johnny Manziel, Greg Hardy, Bears, Browns & Colts
NFL Notes: Johnny Manziel, Greg Hardy, Bears, Browns & Colts
- Browns HC Mike Pettine told reporters on Wednesday that trust was a “huge factor” in the decision to bench QB Johnny Manziel. (Mary Kay Cabot)
- According to Pettine, the move “is absolutely necessary to maximize his chance for future success.” (Mary Kay Cabot)
- Regarding whether this move is an indication of Manziel’s future with the Browns, Pettine said: “We certainly hope not. Made great progress. We told him,’this isn’t a dead end, it’s a hurdle.” (Mary Kay Cabot)
- Pettine added that there had been no discussion of cutting Manziel. (Mary Kay Cabot)
- Jason Cole of B/R, citing multiple sources within the Cowboys’ organization, reports that the team views Thursday’s game against the Panthers as a “huge test” for DE Greg Hardy.
- Dallas is reportedly concerned about how Hardy will handle this game from an emotional standpoint, given his recent outbursts and the fact that this is against his former team.
- Cole adds that depending on how Hardy does in this game and over the remainder of the season will utlimately determine his future with the Cowboys.
- According to Jason Cole of B/R, the decision by Browns HC Mike Pettine to bench QB Johnny Manziel is part of a power struggle between him and GM Ray Farmer.
- Farmer and even members of the coaching staff would like to see Manziel start and see what he can do. However, Pettine reportedly believes “Johnny will always be Johnny,” even after completing rehab during the offseason.
- Cole mentions that this could all culminate in Pettine pushing to have Manziel either traded or released after the season, which could lead to a showdown between the two.
- Colts QB Andrew Luck said that he’s “very, very confident” he’ll return to the field this season.
- Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star notes that if Luck ends up sitting out the full six weeks, he would return for their Dec. 27 game against the Dolphins.
Tags Andrew Luck Eddie Royal Greg Hardy Johnny Manziel Ka'Deem Carey Martellus Bennett Mike Pettine Ray Farmer