- Jason Cole of B/R confirms reports that Bengals TE Tyler Eifert will likely miss training camp this year.
- Cole mentions that Eifert is expected to play a critical role in the team’s offense following the free agent losses the team sustained this offseason.
- Cole points out that there will be some concerns about him getting back on the same page with QB Andy Dalton after missing an extended period of time, due to the ankle injury.
Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton told reporters Wednesday that former first-round CB Justin Gilbert will be given a clean slate with the new coaching staff, despite a poor start to his NFL career.
“We weren’t here and we don’t know what went on the last two years,” Horton said, via Pro Football Talk. “All we know is what went on film and tape from today. Everybody has a clean slate, and you go out and work hard. Is [Gilbert] a work in progress? Yes. Is he carrying anything from four months ago? Not in my book he’s not. He’s just one of the players that we want to help us win a championship here.”
Browns LT Joe Thomas said that he’s glad the team elected to not trade him this offseason.
“It wouldn’t have surprised me if I had been traded, but I’m happy that I didn’t. So it’s kind of a happy ending,” Thomas said, via Nate Ulrich.
- Brian Costello reports that Jets WR Eric Decker skipped OTAs this week because he is upset the organization has yet to re-sign QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- However, Costello reported earlier that Brandon Marshall‘s absence from OTAs was not related to a protest about Fitzpatrick.
- Drew Brees told reporters on Wednesday that his representatives and the Saints haven’t discussed a contract extension in about a month and a half. (Evan Woodbery)
- It’s worth mentioning that Brees did say that he doesn’t like contract discussions taking place during the season. (Larry Holder)