Home / Bengals / NFL Notes: Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, & Ravens
NFL Notes: Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, & Ravens
- Coley Harvey writes that Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict‘s status remains a mystery simply because trainers are being patient with his recovery from microfracture surgery.
- According to Harvey, DT Geno Atkins looked “all right” during last week’s OTA practice.
- Josh Weinfuss of ESPN writes that former first-round pick OL Jonathan Cooper needs to overcome the mental and physical hurdles this season, or the Cardinals may need to figure out an alternative solution next year.
- Weinfuss expects Jerraud Powers to beat out Justin Bethel for the starting job opposite to Patrick Peterson.
- According to Weinfuss, recently signed CB Alfonzo Dennard is quietly doing well thus far. Weinfuss adds that his best opportunity to start will likely be at slot corner.
- Now that the Rams are focused more on a ground-and-pound rushing attack, there’s some question as to how WR Tavon Austin and TE Jared Cook fit into that approach, according to Nick Wagoner.
- In the end, Wagoner expects Cook to be okay in the Rams’ offensive system, but the same likely can’t be said for Austin.
- Wagoner mentions that while the Rams don’t want to commit to a timetable for WR Brian Quick, there’s a realistic chance of him being available for Week 1.
- According to Wagoner, the Rams are high on CB Marcus Roberson, which give him a good shot at securing the No. 5 cornerback job this summer.
- Wagoner writes that if Brandon McGee is to make the team, it would likely be as the team’s No. 6 cornerback, as opposed to beating out Roberson for the No. 5 job.
- In regards to the center position, Wagoner mentions that the Rams would like to see Barrett Jones win the job outright, but there’s a sense that St. Louis will consider all available options.
- Jamison Hensley mentions that the Ravens could have interest in a veteran pass-rusher such as Dwight Freeney, John Abraham and Osi Umenyiora at some point.
- However, it’s more likely that the Ravens will take a look at their younger options before considering anyone.
- Hensley expects first-round pick Breshad Perriman to start alongside of Steve Smith in Week 1.
Baltimore could go with a two-tight-end look that features rookie Maxx Williams and Crockett Gillmore to start the year, according to Hensley.
If Arthur Brown is to make the team this year, he’ll likely have to do it as a special teams player and a reserve inside linebacker, writes Hensley.
Tags Alfonzo Dennard Arthur Brown Barrett Jones Brandon McGee Breshad Perriman Brian Quick Crockett Gillmore Dwight Freeney Geno Atkins Jared Cook Jerraud Powers John Abraham Jonathan Cooper Justin Bethel Marcus Roberson Maxx Williams Osi Umenyiora Steve Smith Tavon Austin Vontaze Burfict