- Geoff Hobson singles out Colorado NT Josh Tupou and Illinois ILB Hardy Nickerson as the two undrafted free agents with the best shot of making the Bengals’ 53-man roster this summer.
- Hobson believes it’s a “high priority” for the Bengals to keep seven receivers including Cody Core and Alex Erickson. Hobson admits that it could be tough do so, however, especially if they suffer an injury at another position.
- In regards to second-round RB Joe Mixon, Hobson believes he could get plenty of work as a third-down running back this year.
- Meanwhile, third- and first fourth-round picks Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson are likely to work as third-down pass rushers, according to Hobson.
- The Chargers have Spencer Pulley working as the team’s starting center ahead of 2016 third-round pick Max Tuerk.
- Eric D. Williams explains that Pulley was better than they anticipated while Tuerk was coming off of an ACL injury, which explains why the Chargers have him working with the first-team unit.
- Although, Williams admits that Tuerk should still get an opportunity to compete for the job.
- In regards to undrafted free agents who could make the 53-man roster, Williams says that the clearest path to playing time for any undrafted rookie is at kicker and punter, which is good news for K Younghoe Koo and P Toby Baker.
Last year, Lions WR Marvin Jones got off of a fast start, but his production, unfortunately, tailed off after the first five games.
“Obviously I was pretty disappointed in everything that happened,” Jones said, via the Detroit Free-Press. “But what can I say? All I can do is prepare and I know what I can do. Everybody sees what I can do and you’ll see it for a long time.”
Jones is hoping his production is much more consistent in his second year with the Lions.
“I want to be that guy that does that. We have a lot of talent on our team that can do that,” Jones added. “So when you have a lot of people on your team and you look across, I look across at Tate and Ebron and stuff like that, we are all those guys. But me personally, I want to be the guy that you’ve seen the first five weeks. I want to be like that for 16, 17, 18 weeks.“