- Mike Rodak of ESPN writes that franchising LT Cordy Glenn would essentially cancel out the cap savings they would get from releasing veteran DE Mario Williams.
- The Bills have some other options to free up additional cap space such as reworking TE Charles Clay‘s contract, releasing K Dan Carpenter and RB Anthony Dixon, and approach CB Leodis McKelvin regarding a pay cut.
- Joel Corry of CBS Sports points out that Browns C Alex Mack does not have a clause in his contract preventing him from being franchised.
- Mack’s contract just includes a no-trade clause.
- However, his option allows him to opt out of his current before 4pm EST March 4.
“[Cousins agent Mike] McCartney has a lot of things going for him that’s why I say you just have to pay him and then just move on,” said the former GM. “There is no other thinking. You’re not paying the player, you’re paying the value of the position; we’re overpaying the talent because of the position he plays. That’s the only position you can take that philosophy and justify it. … Again if you’re [Jay] Gruden you’re asking the GM, ‘Who do we replace him with?’ I’ll tell you what happens, the room goes silent because the thought of who you replace him with is scarier than what you’re paying him.”
- The Washington Redskins announced Wednesday that they have named Kevin Carberry as Assistant Offensive Line Coach and named Shane Waldron as Offensive Quality Control.