- Ian Rapoport reports that after the video of OT Laremy Tunsil smoking a gas-mask bong surfaced right before the NFL draft, his agent, Jimmy Sexton, called in to war rooms and put Tunsil on the phone to teams where he owned his past drug use.
- Tunsil also confirmed that it was him on the video and added that the video was two years old.
- Meanwhile, Ole Miss is investigating the alleged texts between Tunsil and John Miller.
“Do I have any regrets about this whole thing?” Elway asked. “No. We’re thrilled to have ended up where we are, with Paxton. If you had said to me, ‘Here are your four options,’ and you named the four we just went through, this is the one we’d take. We think Paxton, long-term, is a perfect fit for our offense.”
Elway stressed that they would have taken Lynch over any of the other available options at quarterback.
“If you had said to me, ‘Here are your four options,’ and you named the four we just went through, this is the one we’d take,’’ Elway said, per King.
- Elway did, however, say that they were “really close” to trading for 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick. (Peter King)
- Elway added that the Eagles asked “way too much” for QB Sam Bradford. (Peter King)
- Rich Cimini writes that the Jets’ decision to pass on QB Paxton Lynch last night may have an immediate impact on their current quarterback situation, particularly as it pertains to free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- Cimini mentions that the Broncos are unlikely to be serious players to sign Fitzpatrick, which means his market has lost one of the one only available options for quarterbacks.
- According to Cimini, “it’s the Jets or bust” for Fitzpatrick right now.
- However, if Fitzpatrick wants to slow play the situation, Cimini believes the Jets could turn their attention to Brian Hoyer at some point.
Rams HC Jeff Fisher mentioned that their goal for No. 1 overall pick QB Jared Goff is that he’ll start for them in Week 1.
“He may start on Monday night,” Fisher said of their season opener against the 49ers, via NFL.com. “That’s the goal. We understand the environment, believe me. He does. We’ve had lengthy conversations. If I had concerns about whether Jared could handle this, I wouldn’t be talking about Jared right now. He can handle it.”
- Jeff Zrebiec reports that Ravens CB Jimmy Smith will undergo surgery this week to get the screws taken out from previous procedure.
- Zrebiec adds that the Ravens are hopeful this is only a 4-to-6 week deal for Smith.