Home / Broncos / NFL Notes: Broncos, Falcons, Lions, Redskins
NFL Notes: Broncos, Falcons, Lions, Redskins
- Cameron Wolfe of the Denver Post expects the Broncos to sign at least one starting offensive tackle in free agency, while an upgrade at guard could also be in order.
- Wolfe mentions Ravens RT Rick Wagner, Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth, Lions RT Riley Reiff, Lions G Larry Warford and Cowboys G Ronald Leary as possible free agents that would fit the team’s needs.
- Wolfe writes that signing Cardinals impending free agent DE Calais Campbell makes sense for Denver due to his abilities as a pass rusher and run defender.
- The Falcons announced that they have converted WRs coach Raheem Morris to become their passing game coordinator.
- John Keim of ESPN could see Redskins QB Kirk Cousins exceeding Colts QB Andrew Luck‘s average salary of $24.594 million, but is unsure if he will match Luck’s guarantees of $87 million.
- Although surpassing Luck’s contract would make him the NFL’s highest-paid quarterback, there is a chance Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford and Derek Carr all receive lucrative contract extensions this offseason that could pay out higher than Luck’s contract. As a result, Cousins could see his price tag increase if he signs an extension after these players are addressed by their respective teams.
- For what it’s worth, Keim writes that Cousins’ agent is “well aware” of their leverage towards negotiations given that his franchise tag figure of $23.94 million is likely to be his base asking price.
- Interesting enough, Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk points out that the Redskins could use the transition tag on Cousins in 2018 instead of the franchise tag, which would pay $28.78 million in 2018 as opposed to $34.47 million. The transition tag would result in a 20 percent increase from the $23.94 million owed for the 2017 franchise tag.
Tags Andrew Luck Andrew Whitworth Calais Campbell Dan Orlovsky Derek Carr Jake Rudock Kirk Cousins Larry Warford Matt Ryan Matthew Stafford Raheem Morris Rick Wagner Riley Reiff Ronald Leary