“C.J. of course, if you talk to him you think he’s about a 12-year veteran starter and he’s only started six games,” Manning said, via ESPN.com. “I’m getting a ton of reps with him, and the sky is the limit for him, I will say that … But [overall], what we do scheme-wise is kind of between us.”
- Jason La Canfora anticipates Geno Smith getting “at least half a season” as the team’s starting quarterback before any changes are made.
- According to La Canfora, veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick has “impressed” the team with his knowledge of Chan Gailey’s offensive system.
- In regards to DE Muhammad Wilkerson and a potential extension, La Canfora writes that he’ll likely play out the final year of his rookie contract. La Canfora still expects the Jets to approach him about an extension, but there appears to be a “considerable gulf” between the two parties.
- La Canfora mentions that second-year TE Jace Amaro will need a strong training camp to have a large role in the team’s offense this season.
- HC Todd Bowles told reporters that the team’s running back depth chart currently consists of: 1) Chris Ivory, 2) Bilal Powell, and 3) Daryl Richardson. (Rich Cimini)
- Zac Stacy is still learning the offense and free agent pick up Stevan Ridley is working his way back from an injury. (Rich Cimini)
- Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable said that he expects “quite a battle” at center in training camp between Lemuel Jeanpierre, Patrick Lewis, Drew Nowak, and rookie Kristjan Sokoli. (Bob Condotta)
Texans HC Bill O’Brien tells Mike Silver of NFL Media that they could decide on the team’s starting quarterback — Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett — before training camp. Otherwise, he expects to have a decision at some point early on in training camp.
“That decision may be made before training camp,” O’Brien said. “They’re out here competing (in OTAs and at mandatory minicamp) every single day, and it’s pretty intense. So, we may pick a guy very soon. And if we don’t, and the decision does go into training camp, it’ll be made pretty early on. The team needs to know who the guy is, and we need to go forward.”
- O’Brien also mentioned that he expects No. 1 overall pick OLB Jadeveon Clowney to be ready for the start of the regular season. (Mike Silver)