Browns owner Jimmy Haslam told reporters that the team should be “substantially better” in 2018 or 2019.
“Last year was harder than we thought,” Haslam said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “None of us are exactly sure what’ll happen this year. I know we’ll be a better team. So I think 2018 — and I’m not hedging my bets — 2018, 2019 you should see a substantially better football team.”
Haslam also stressed the importance of having patience and building through the draft.
“All of us want to win and win immediately,” Haslam said. “Most of you don’t know me that well personally, but I’m an extremely impatient person. But I think we’ve learned the hard way if you want to do this and do it right, building through the draft and being patient and getting the right people in place is the right way to do it. So it’s hard, but it’s unequivocally the right thing to do.”
- Browns OL Chris Barker was carted off the field from Saturday’s practice with a lower leg injury. (Scott Petrak)
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said CB Justin Bethel hyperextended his knee and will miss a “couple days.” (Josh Weinfuss)
Chiefs veteran QB Alex Smith says he’s unphased by the team adding first-round QB Patrick Mahomes.
“I don’t think it’s just the rookie thing because we’ve had rookies in here before,’’ Smith said, via ESPN.com. “I think you want a high-quality, competitive room, period, and obviously when you’re drafting a guy that early, you’re hoping he’s bringing that quality.
“When it’s really competitive and [the quarterbacks] do compete in everything — we do all the time, keep score in everything — that’s only going to make us all better, me included. It’s about the quality and, certainly, Pat fits that. Obviously, he’s a kid that’s really talented.’’
Smith added that he feels like he still has more good years left in him.
“I still feel like I’ve got a lot of bounce, a lot of pep in my step,’’ Smith said. “In fact, it’s almost more of a challenge. I like coming out and keeping up if not trying to beat the young guys. That’s fun for me. I like that challenge. I really enjoy this time because of that.
“For me, I love coming away to camp because I do get a lot of time with the guys. I get a lot of time with the young guys that if we were staying back in Kansas City, I wouldn’t necessarily get.’’
- Jim Wyatt of the Titans’ official site expects Harry Douglas, Tre McBride, and Eric Weems to compete for the final receiver spot on the roster.
- In regards to Douglas’ trade value, Wyatt thinks teams will wait to see who makes the Titans’ active roster before considering a trade.
- Wyatt expects first-round WR Corey Davis will make an immediate impact for QB Marcus Mariota.
- If the Titans make any more trades this offseason, Wyatt believes it would occur following training camp when GM Jon Robinson has a better idea of the team’s needs.
- Titans placed WR Tajae Sharpe on the PUP list.