Home Browns NFL Notes: Browns, Giants, Lions & Steelers
- Pat McManamon of ESPN believes Browns CB Joe Haden will be the subject of trade talks in the near future but adds that he will be difficult to trade due to his $5.34 million cap figure this season, which increases to another $11.2 million for 2017 and $11.1 million in 2018.
- McManamon also mentions that $4 million of his 2017 salary is guaranteed, while the Browns would likely want a first- or second-round pick in exchange for Haden.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that RB Theo Riddick is the Lions’ “clear-cut” No. 1 back when healthy, while RB Dwayne Washington will be the lead backup since he is the team’s best power runner.
- Birkett expects Riddick and Washington to split carries 60-40, with recently acquired RB Justin Forsett to filling a supportive role.
- Birkett believes it’s a “very good chance” that the Lions will extend QB Matthew Stafford this offseason, even if Detroit finishes with a losing record.
- In fact, Birkett could only see this failing to occur if Stafford decides he wants to play out his contract and enter free agency in 2018.
- Gerry Dulac reports that Steelers WR Sammie Coates (hand, questionable) is dealing with a broken index finger in addition to seven stitches on his left hand. According to Dulac, it’s still possible Coates could play in Week 6.