Home / Buccaneers / NFL Notes: Buccaneers, Cardinals, Packers, Panthers, & Vikings
NFL Notes: Buccaneers, Cardinals, Packers, Panthers, & Vikings
- Pat Yaskinskas writes that the Buccaneers have made it clear to LB Lavonte David that they want to sign him to a long-term contract.
- In fact, Yaskinskas wouldn’t be surprised to see the parties have an agreement in place before the start of training camp.
- While the Buccaneers could probably use some more offensive line help, Yaskinskas mentions that the available options are available because majority are on the downside of their careers.
- Josh Weinfuss writes that rookie RB David Johnson has looked “very good” and drawn the attention of some Cardinals coaches in offseason workouts.
- According to Weinfuss, center remains a major question mark for the Cardinals because neither A.Q. Shipley nor Ted Larsen have separated themselves from each other yet.
- Another position worth keeping an eye on is the inside linebacker job next to Sean Weatherspoon.
- Weinfuss believes that there is an open competition for the No. 3 quarterback job, but not exactly wide open.
- Phillip Sims and Chandler Harnish will have an opportunity to impress the coaching staff, but they will clearly need to outshine Logan Thomas to get the job.
- Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac tells Rob Demovsky that this is a “big offseason” for 2014 third-round DT Khyri Thornton, who the team views as “a work in progress.”
- Demovsky writes that third-round pick Ty Montgomery will get an opportunity to secure the kick-return job this summer, and could even be used out of the backfield as a running back this year.
- Demovsky mentions that OLB Jayrone Elliott‘s quickness “showed up again and again” during this week’s OTA practice that was open to the media.
- Demovsky lists DT Lavon Hooks (Mississippi), WR Ricky Collins (Texas A&M-Commerce), WR Adrian Coxson (Stony Brook), CB LaDarius Gunter (Miami) and LB Tavarus Dantzler (Bethune-Cookman) as five undrafted free agents to keep an eye on.
- David Newton of ESPN writes that if the Panthers continue to struggle on offense, there’s no question that OC Mike Shula will shoulder the blame.
- According to Newton, there’s no chance of the Panthers using rookie Devin Funchess at tight end this season.
- Newton mentions that unless Joe Webb shows that he can be a valuable option at receiver and special teams, it would be surprising if Carolina ends up keeping him.
- According to Ben Goessling, there hasn’t been any significant movement towards a restructured contract for RB Adrian Peterson.
- Goessling mentions that the Vikings may want to get Peterson to show up and see where he is physically before broaching the subject adding more guarantees to his current deal.
- Assuming that the salary cap is $150 million in 2016, the Vikings are currently projected to have $18.5 million in available cap space.
- Minnesota could improve this figure by reworking the contracts of DE Brian Robison, RB Adrian Peterson and possibly even WR Mike Wallace.
- Goessling writes that the Vikings appear to be set on moving Brandon Fusco to left guard with rookie T.J. Clemmings playing right guard.
Tags A. Q. Shipley Adrian Coxson Adrian Peterson Brandon Fusco Brian Robison Chandler Harnish David Johnson Devin Funchess Jayrone Elliott Joe Webb Khyri Thornton Ladarius Gunter Lavon Hooks Lavonte David Logan Thomas Mike Shula Mike Wallace Phillip Sims Ricky Collins T.J. Clemmings Tavarus Dantzler Ted Larsen Ty Montgomery