Buccaneers GM Jason Licht explained that even though No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston didn’t have a particularly good start to the season, they’re not concerned about him moving forward.
“There’s no getting around it: (Winston) didn’t play well,” Licht said, via Albert Breer of NFL Media. “We saw some flashes of great play. Overall, he didn’t play well. But in no way, shape or form are we upset with the pick. We’d do it again in a second. We love the guy and we have a lot of faith in him. It’s a great part of the learning process. He’s never been in a game like that before. And talking to the guys who were on the sideline, he truly believed he could get us back in it, right until the end. He knows now that, on this level, he’s not gonna be able to do it on his own.”
Breer notes that Winston had his “best practice” as a Buccaneer on Wednesday. In turn, Licht provided some factors that he looks for Winston to work on.
“The guy has to be able to digest information, bounce back from a bad day, go over his mistakes, and get another pile of plays and install them,” Licht said. “We knew pretty early on he’d be able to do that.”
- HC Chuck Pagano said he is “optimistic” that WR T.Y. Hilton (knee) will play in the Colts’ Monday Night game. (Kevin Bowen)
- It is worth mentioning that Pagano mentioned that Hilton and OLB Robert Mathis (Achilles) are both listed as questionable at this point in time. (Kevin Bowen)
- Pagano said CB Darius Butler (hip) and CB Greg Toler (neck) have been ruled out of Week 2, via Bowen.
“He’s still going to have bits and pieces of things that we think that he would make a difference for us on, but there’s not enough room for everybody on every play,” said OC Chan Gailey said of Kerley’s playing time. “Unfortunately, with the time he missed, he’s a little bit—this is a bad term—you don’t want to say odd man out, but it’s just we haven’t created the role for him yet that he will end up playing at some point for us.”
- Cosentino notes that WR Eric Decker playing in the slot position has further limited Kerley’s appearance in the active roster.
- Gailey admitted that WR Devin Smith (ribs) will have a “very limited role” on Monday night, if he is able to play.
- Packers S Morgan Burnett (calf) has been upgraded to “probable” for Sunday night’s game. (Weston Hodkiewicz)
- Rams HC Jeff Fisher said rookie RB Todd Gurley (knee) will be a game-time decision for Week 2. (SiriusXM NFL Radio)
Monroe is at risk of missing his sixth game since signing his five-year, $37.5 million deal that included $17.5 million guaranteed in 2014. Monroe has not practiced this week due to a concussion he sustained in Week 1.
OT James Hurst is expected to take over in place of Monroe.