NFL Notes: Cardinals, Colts, Jets, Redskins
- Josh Weinfuss of ESPN writes that the Cardinals quarterback of the future could be left for a new coach to decide if HC Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer end their careers together.
- If the Cardinals promote internally for their next head coach, then there is a “chance” for Drew Stanton being kept on as the team’s next starting quarterback.
- Weinfuss mentions that things to consider about Stanton are that he is 33-years old, has only started 13 games and has played in just 33 games in 10 seasons.
- The Colts are hopeful that S Clayton Geathers (neck) will return “sooner or later“, but there is no exact timetable for his return, according to Mike Wells of ESPN.
- Wells writes that first-round S Malik Hooker (hernia/hip) is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
- Wells expects Geathers and Hooker to start at both safety spots if they are healthy for Week 1 of the regular season. However, Wells could see S T.J. Green starting if one of the players aren’t ready.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN could see the Jets bringing in a new regime that would want to draft their own quarterback of the future if they go 1-15 this season.
- However, if they finish 8-8, Cimini writes that would “probably” warrant a vote of confidence in QBs Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty.
- If the Jets finish the season with the No. 6 overall pick and want to trade up to at least No. 3 to acquire a top quarterback, Cimini expects the team would have to at least trade their second- and fourth-round picks in addition to the No. 6 pick.
- Though Cimini believes the price to trade up could increase, he does not think a higher price would prohibit the Jets from moving up.
- According to Cimini, the Jets have spoken to one of the Raiders, Buccaneers, or Colts about trading DE Sheldon Richardson. However, the issue with a potential Richardson trade is his $8 million salary.
- According to John Keim of ESPN, the Redskins will not convert OLBs Trent Murphy or Preston Smith to defensive end.
- Although Keim writes that Murphy could play end if the team needs him to and LB Junior Galette is “healthy and looks good.”
- As for Smith playing defensive end, Keim writes there’s “no reason” for him to switch positions since he has not played there up this point in his NFL career.
Tags Bruce Arians Bryce Petty Carson Palmer Christian Hackenberg Clayton Geathers Junior Galette Malik Hooker Preston Smith Sheldon Richardson T.J. Green Trent Murphy