Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said he’s looking forward to seeing backup QB Blaine Gabbert in live action tonight’s Hall of Fame game.
“You want to see him with live bullets,” Arians said, via ESPN.com. “I see the talent in practice. Games are different. A different secondary, a different front and all those things — how you react to it, how you put all those pieces together in one day. That’s all we practice for these guys, one day.”
Gabbert added that he’s just looking forward to the opportunity.
“It’s a great opportunity for any of the young guys, myself included, when you can play a first half, the second half, the entire game,” Gabbert said. “You can really get into the rhythm rather than just playing maybe a series here, a quarter here.
“You can really get into the flow of the game and really start executing at a high level.”
- On Thursday, Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill left practice after he suffering a non-contact leg injury. (NFLTR)
- Assuming it ends up being a serious injury for Tannehill, Omar Kelly speculates that the Dolphins would likely give retired QB Jay Cutler a call over free agent Colin Kaepernick.
- Pro Football Talk agrees with this idea and adds that HC Adam Gase didn’t pursue Cutler during the offseason only because he didn’t want to undermine Tannehill.
- Matt Maiocco mentions that Gase previously had an offensive plan ready for Kaepernick when he interviewed with the 49ers a few years ago.
- John McClain of the Houston Chronicle expects the Texans to make WR DeAndre Hopkins the NFL’s highest paid receiver at some point between now and September.
- Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said Ben Gedeon is a “natural middle linebacker” but gained reps as a weakside linebacker during Wednesday’s practice. (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings first-round WR Laquon Treadwell said his injury didn’t happen in a fight: “No Just running routes running strained a muscle… Physical game. Injuries happen.” (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings DT Linval Joseph said he’d like a contract extension but will “keep grinding” if he does not receive one this offseason: “If it’s time, it’s time. If not, I’m going to keep grinding.’’ (Chris Tomasson)