- Dan Graziano reports that NFL owners want an extension of the current CBA because they want certain things now including money for new stadium construction and, expanded playoffs among other things.
- However, the NFLPA doesn’t have an issue important enough to them to get them to the bargaining table at this time, which means the owners will have to offer some significant concession in order for the NFLPA to get to the point where they are ready to get serious about an extension.
- Roger Goodell mentioned that they’re looking for a five-year extension of the current CBA and believes it would work “incredibly well” for both sides. (Tom Pelissero)
- Goodell said that the door is open to establishing a developmental league at some point. (Albert Breer)
- Jason Cole writes that Goodell “really wants” to keep the Raiders in Oakland. Cole adds that Goodell is working with the city separately from the team.
According to a retired NFL RB’s coach tells Lance Zierlein of NFL.com LSU RB Leonard Fournette is as close of a running back as you’ll find to Vikings RB Adrian Peterson.
“There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Leonard Fournette is absolutely the real deal,” the former RBs coach said. He’s as close as you will find to Adrian Peterson. He’s so strong and so fast and you just don’t find that combination much for NFL backs. He’s going to be a great pro if he stays healthy.”
- An NFC scout tells Zierlein that while he believes Michigan State DL Malik McDowell could be a better player than 49ers DL DeForest Buckner, he has concerns about his football character.
- In regards to next year’s offensive tackle prospects, an AFC executive said that he isn’t sure any of them will get a first-round grade from his team.
- 49ers HC Chip Kelly said of RB Carlos Hyde and his shoulder injury: “We’ll monitor him during the week, but I think he would be a stretch to play this week.” (Adam Schefter)
- Mike Klis of 9News doesn’t think the Broncos will attempt to trade for Browns LT Joe Thomas again this year now that they’ve spent $11 million on Donald Stephenson and Russell Okung.
- However, one name Klis believes could make sense for the Broncos is Browns TE Gary Barnidge, who could give them a legitimate tight end receiving threat.
Earlier this week, CBS Sports reported that John Bon Jovi and Peyton Manning were “monitoring the Titans ownership situation.”
Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk made it clear earlier in the day that the is not for sale and would be made available at any point.
Bon Jovi, himself, attempted to put the idea of his interest in purchasing the Titans to rest on Wednesday.
“Let me dispel the rumors right now,” Bon Jovi told the Associated Press. “I wake up to these headlines with my name on them and they’re just not true. I want to make it perfectly clear that the team is not for sale, nor has it ever been, and I respect and admire Bud Adams’ legacy. End of story, I wish them all the success in the world.”