- Free agent WR Cecil Shorts, who is working his way back from a devasting knee injury he suffered last year, announced via his Twitter account that he underwent his third knee surgery in the past seven months.
- Shorts recently mentioned that he’s focused on his rehab and hoping to return for the 2018 season. (NFLTR)
- The Chiefs signed DT Roy Miller‘s one-year deal is worth a base salary of $1.4 million with $300,000 guaranteed and can earn up to $2.5 million total. (Ian Rapoport)
- The Cowboys signed backup QB Luke McCown to a one-year contract that included an $80,000 signing bonus, a $1M base salary ($170k guaranteed) and carries a cap figure of $695,000. (Field Yates)
- The Texans signed S Marcus Gilchrist‘s to a one-year contract worth up to $3M and includes an $800,000 signing bonus to go along with a $1.2M base salary and $1M in per-game roster bonuses. (Field Yates)
Falcons LT Jake Matthews explained that his contract situation with the team won’t impact his approach to this season.
“I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well,” Matthews said, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN. “I’m not going to change anything. I come out here and try to work hard and get better every day. It’s not like, ‘Oh, now it’s time, with a fifth-year option and a new contract to come.’ I’m going to go out there and play the best I can every time. It doesn’t matter.”
Matthews has struggled a bit since entering the NFL, but it doesn’t appear to be impacting his confidence.
“I’ve done a pretty good job so far in [training] camp here,” Matthews said. “It’s hard blocking guys on the edge. They’ve got a ton of options. That’s my job, though. That’s what they brought me in here to do, and I feel confident in doing it.
“There’s always stuff to learn. You’re going to have a play here and there that isn’t the way you want it to go. But that’s part of the game. It’s all about how you bounce back and get it done and end up winning.”
- Titans first-round WR Corey Davis is undergoing an MRI for a hamstring injury he suffered during Thursday’s practice. (Jim Wyatt)
- Titans RB DeMarco Murray is also dealing with a hamstring injury. (Jim Wyatt)