Former Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik mentioned that the Chargers could make sense for free agent RB Arian Foster in the coming months, especially considering that former first-round RB Melvin Gordon is coming off of a microfracture knee procedure.
“Depending on how they handle an Arian Foster will tell you how concerned they are about Melvin Gordon,” Dominik said on Sirius XM NFL Radio. “Albeit, they could be a little misguided because they’re hoping for the best as we always do.”
However, Tom Krasovic doubts the Chargers will end up signing Foster to a contract.
Joel Corry of CBS Sports writes the Chiefs are among the teams with some work to do in regards to their salary cap, considering that they currently have just $1.1 million cap space available.
- Corry expects franchise S Eric Berry to eventually sign a long-term extension worth just under what Patriots S Devin McCourty (four years, $47.5M, $28.5M Gtd) got last year.
- The Chiefs could approach OLB Justin Houston and QB Alex Smith regarding their contracts, given their high cap figures.
- Corry believes the Chiefs could approach RB Jamaal Charles regarding a pay cut now that they’ve locked up Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West to extensions. Charles is coming off of another serious knee injury, stands to make $6 million in 2016 and will turn 30 this season.
- According to Joel Corry of CBS Sports, the Jets will need to make a few roster moves if they’re able to re-sign QB Ryan Fitzpatrick in the coming months.
- The most obvious source of cap space for the Jets would be to sign DL Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term extension, but it would obviously be a costly move for them in the coming years.
- Corry mentions that the Jets could restructure CB Darrelle Revis‘ contract, considering that he stands to make a base salary of $17 million in 2016.
- Veteran WR Brandon Marshall could also be a restructure candidate for the Giants.
- Corry adds that former second-round QB Geno Smith could be a potential roster cut in the coming months, especially if they’re able to re-sign Fitzpatrick.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Citadel CB Mariel Cooper has been invited to the Redskins’ rookie minicamp along on a tryout basis.