Chargers first-round WR Mike Williams has been sidelined for OTAs because of a mild disk herniation in his back. Philip Rivers mentioned that this is really valuable time for a young receiver because of the work their putting in to get everyone familiar with the offensive scheme.
“Obviously, you hope he gets back very soon,” Rivers said, via ESPN.com. “I think this would have been very valuable to him, these 10 practices and all the time we’re out on the field doing things because we move guys everywhere.
“In certain systems, receivers are just an X receiver or a Z receiver, and they just have to learn this route on this play. But we’re all over the place. If we get caught in two-minute, I just tell Keenan [Allen] to stay on the left side and you Tyrell [Williams] or whoever to stay on the right side, and all of a sudden you’re the Z or you’re the X, or ‘Hey, scoot inside here you’re the F (slot receiver).’ So you really have to learn the whole thing. And I think being able to get in the huddle and play with us would have helped him.”
“He’ll do well,” Cutler said of Jeffery, via ESPN.com. “Mike Groh is there, the wide receivers coach. He had Al in Chicago when we were all there. Mike knows him really well, can get the most out of him.
“And I think that Al knows this is a huge year for him. You know, it’s another one-year deal for him. I mean, if he stays healthy and he works hard, I mean, the guy is unbelievable. He’s just had some bad luck with some injuries that have kind of plagued him. You know, one injury will lead to another injury to another injury. It’s hard at that position to battle back and get healthy again and be productive.”
- According to James Kratch of NJ.com, Giants third-round QB Davis Webb has looked “pretty solid” during offseason workouts. However, Kratch tempers expectations for the young quarterback by saying that growing pains will come and it’s still unlikely he’ll win the backup quarterback job this summer.
- Giants HC Ben McAdoo said that OT Ereck Flowers is in “tremendous condition” and they’re hopeful this will lead to better technique from him.
- The Giants have been moving TE Evan Engram around the field and it appears as though they plan to use him as a true mismatch weapon.
- Kratch believes Geno Smith is a serious contender to Josh Johnson to win the backup quarterback job.
- Kratch considers it unlikely that the Giants will release WR Roger Lewis, who was recently arrested for driving while impaired, anytime soon.