NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell recently answered questions about the situation with the 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick.
“I support our players when they want to see change in society, and we don’t live in a perfect society.” Goodell said in the interview with Barry Wilner of the Associated Press. “On the other hand, we believe very strongly in patriotism in the NFL. I personally believe very strongly in that.”
Goodell added that with NFL players having a visible platform for their viewpoints, “we have to choose respectful ways of doing that so that we can achieve the outcomes we ultimately want and do it with the values and ideals that make our country great.”
- 49ers DC Jim O’Neil was asked about rookie CB Will Redmond possibly returning from Injured Reserve this season, to which he responded, “I think that’s the plan.” (Eric Branch)
- The Buccaneers are expected to promote undrafted rookie RB Peyton Barber from their practice squad to the 53-man roster as the third running back for Sunday’s opener. (Greg Auman)
- Ravens LB Elvis Dumervil said he won’t play Sunday against the Bills after suffering a setback in his recovery from a foot procedure. (Jamison Hensley)
- Hensley noted that LB Albert McClellan is expected to start in Dumervil’s place.
“The number of starts (he’s had), he’s a very intelligent quarterback, he’s faced this defense before,” Mularkey said. “They wouldn’t give up a (No.) 1 and a (No.) 4 to have him sit very long. He’s had a very good preseason – really, both the quarterbacks had good preseasons. I would anticipate (Bradford starts), and if he doesn’t, it’s not going to change how we prepare.” (Ben Goessling)
- Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said he won’t announce his starting quarterback before Sunday. (Chris Tomasson)