- Dave Zirin recently spoke with free agent QB Colin Kaepernick, who said that he has not “moved on” from his NFL career, despite some recent speculation he may prefer to continue working with his causes than return to playing football.
- Zirin mentions that Kaepernick is working out every day and waiting for an invite to training camp with a new team.
Giants CEO John Mara mentioned Tuesday during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show that it’s still too early to anoint rookie QB Davis Webb as the heir apparent to Eli Manning.
“I am in the room with (GM Jerry Reese) and I do give the final approval to everybody that we take,” Mara said, via NFL.com. “But I was hoping that we would take a quarterback at some point. I’ve always held the belief that you could never draft too many of them. I think it’s a little too premature to be anointing this guy as the heir apparent to Eli. (Webb) hasn’t set foot on the field yet. But he has a lot of talent and we’re looking forward to seeing what we’ve got when he gets here. But let’s not, as Bill Parcells used to say, let’s not get his bust ready for Canton just yet.”
Mara added that they plan to allow Webb to develop and see where he is moving forward.
“But no, listen, he’s a talented guy but let’s let him get on the field and let’s let him play in the preseason and develop,” Mara said. “If he’s the successor, that’s great, but if not, then we’ll find somebody else.”
- Giants LB Mark Herzlich told reporters that he elected to changed his number from 94 to 44 because he is working on the offensive side of the ball as a tight end now. (Tom Rock)
- Dave Birkett points out that several articles from Ghana regarding Lions DE Ziggy Ansah‘s foundation list as being 29 years old while Detroit has him officially listed as being just 27 years old.
- Birkett mentions that there were actually questions about Ansah’s age dating back to when he was drafted and it’s possible that this could factor into contract talks with the Lions moving forward.
- Here’s one example of Ansah being listed as 29, via the Ghana News Agency.
- The Lions, however, maintain that Ansah is 27 and was born on May 29, 1989. (Kyle Meinke)
- Despite interest from the Rams, Jason La Canfora reports that Ravens longtime director of college scouting Joe Hortiz will stay with Baltimore.