NFL Notes: Colts, Cowboys, Patriots, & Rams
- According to ESPN’s Mike Wells, Robert Mathis didn’t re-tear his Achilles, but instead suffered a “slight setback.”
- Wells mentions that the Colts need help at safety, defensive lineman, offensive lineman and in the pass-rushing department.
- He would be “shocked” if they targeted either a running back or a wide receiver in the first round.
- Wells could see the Colts targeting a veteran safety and adding a younger player as well.
- Joel Corry mentions that the 2015 and 2016 years in RT Doug Free‘s contract officially voided on Sunday.
- Corry adds that the Cowboys will have a $3.98 million cap charge from the bonus proration in those two years.
- The Cowboys gained $8,382,311 of cap room by declining to pick up the option on Henry Melton’s contract, according to Corry.
- Field Yates reports that Patriots QB Tom Brady is due a $5 million payment today as part of his $30 million signing bonus he got from his 2013 contract extension.
- Nick Wagoner can see the Rams spending big on “at least one free agent” in the event they lose OT Joe Barksdale and release C Scott Wells.
- Wagoner could see the Rams placing an emphasis on shoring up the tight end and/or cornerback positions.
- Wagoner mentions that aside from trading up for one of the top two quarterback prospects, there isn’t any realistic quarterback option for the Rams that looks all that appealing.
Tags Doug Free Henry Melton Joe Barksdale Robert Mathis Scott Wells Tom Brady