NFL Notes: Falcons, Giants, Jets
- James Kratch of NJ.com mentions that the Giants likely won’t have a long-term extension in place for G Justin Pugh at any point in the near future, especially now that a number of guards just cashed in as free agents. If Pugh can put together another solid season, he’ll put himself in position to cash in like Kevin Zeitler and Ronald Leary did this past week.
- If the Giants lose DT Johnathan Hankins in free agency, Kratch suggests Michigan State’s Malik McDowell or Florida’s Caleb Brantley as two draft prospects worth watching for New York. Although, he admits they could target value pick later on in the draft or bring in another free agent at a cheaper deal.
- Kratch doesn’t think it would make a lot of sense for the Giants or any team to get aggressive in trying to sign a veteran running back such as Eddie Lacy or Latavius Murray, especially with a solid running back class of prospects coming into the league.
- In regards to the quarterback position, Kratch believes the Giants would prefer to use a third- or fourth-round pick on someone, but he isn’t ruling out them taking one earlier if the right guy is still on the board. Kratch considers Pittsburgh QB Nathan Peterman to be the best value quarterback in this year’s draft.
- Jordan Schultz reports that while the Falcons like free agent DT Dontari Poe “a lot,” the chances of actually getting a deal done with him are “slim” as of now.
- Former NFL GM Michael Lombardi mentions that he could see DL Sheldon Richardson end up with the Bengals, but he doesn’t think the Jets would trade him for straight up for backup QB A.J. McCarron.
- There have been internet trade rumors circulating about a potential trade that would send Richardson to the Bengals for backup A.J. McCarron. Rich Cimini says that the Jets are probably are interested in trading Richardson and his $8 million salary, and obviously could use a quarterback right now. Cimini believes this idea is something the Jets have looked at and would likely consider it if they didn’t have to give up draft picks. The issues, however, is that the Bengals may have to include a draft pick to make it work.
Tags A.J. McCarron Caleb Brantley D.J. Fluker Dontari Poe Eddie Lacy John Jerry Johnathan Hankins Justin Pugh Latavius Murray Malik McDowell Nathan Peterman Sheldon Richardson