Home / Cowboys / NFL Notes: Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles, Jaguars
NFL Notes: Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles, Jaguars
- Todd Archer of ESPN cannot see the Cowboys pursuing Chargers impending free agent OLB Melvin Ingram due to the team’s typical approach to free agency. Although, Archer also admits “there’s always a chance” that the team could decide to take a chance on Ingram.
- Archer writes that it would be difficult to see the Cowboys acquiring a big-time offensive player like Redskins impending free agent DeSean Jackson, considering they’ve already invested heavily in their offensive line, WR Dez Bryant, and Ezekiel Elliott.
- Archer doesn’t expect the Cowboys to re-sign WR Terrance Williams due to the same reasons they will not pursue Jackson, even though Williams would require a smaller contract.
- Archer would rather see the Cowboys re-sign RB Darren McFadden as their primary backup over signing Vikings RB Adrian Peterson, assuming he ends up being available.
- James Walker of ESPN believes the Dolphins should consider re-signing WR Kenny Stills because he is a “proven player” and is the only downfield threat on Miami’s roster.
- No surprise, but Walker does not think it would be a good idea for the Dolphins to draft a tight end in the first round now that they have acquired TE Julius Thomas.
- Instead, Walker suggests using their first round pick on a linebacker or play-making defensive end.
- Jimmy Kempski of PhillyVoice.com writes that while offensive tackle isn’t a short-term issue for the Eagles, who will retain LT Jason Peters and have RT Lane Johnson locked up for another few years, it will “absolutely” be a position they’ll need to address in the long-term.
- With this in mind, Kempski takes a look at five offensive tackle prospects he believes could make sense for the Eagles to consider in this year’s draft including: Ryan Ramczyk (Wisconsin), Garett Bolles (Utah), Adam Bisnowaty (Pittsburgh), Chad Wheeler (USC) and Zach Banner (USC)
- Mike DiRocco of ESPN does not think the success of Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott‘s will influence the Jaguars towards selecting either LSU RB Leonard Fournette or FSU RB Dalvin Cook. If the Jaguars do draft Cook or Fournette, it will simply come down to Jacksonville viewing them as the best players available.
- DiRocco considers finding a guard and pass rusher to be the Jaguars’ top two priorities this offseason with linebacker, cornerback and safety being other positions of need.
- DiRocco expects the Jaguars to target a guard during the first two days of free agency and mentions Bengals impending free agent Kevin Zeitler as a possible option.
- As for Jaguars’ players that could reach free agency, DiRocco writes that Jacksonville could move on from CB Aaron Colvin and S Johnathan Cyprien with LB Dan Skuta being a possible roster cut.
- DiRocco mentions that the Jaguars will need to “legitimately compete for the AFC South in 2017 and make the playoffs in 2018” or executive Tom Coughlin, HC Doug Marrone and GM Dave Caldwell could be on the outs after just a few seasons.
Tags Aaron Colvin Adam Bisnowaty Adrian Peterson Chad Wheeler Dalvin Cook Dan Skuta Darren McFadden Dave Caldwell DeSean Jackson Dez Bryant Doug Marrone Ezekiel Elliott Garett Bolles jason peters Johnathan Cyprien Julius Thomas Kevin Zeitler Lane Johnson Leonard Fournette Melvin Ingram Ryan Ramczyk Terrance Williams Tom Coughlin Zach Banner