NFL Notes: Cowboys, Giants, Panthers, Saints
- John Machota of the Dallas Morning News expects RG Zack Martin to receive a contract extension “probably” during training camp in late July or early August.
- Machota expects all five draft picks — first-round DE Taco Charlton, second-round CB Chidobe Awuzie, third-round CB Jourdan Lewis, fourth-round WR Ryan Switzer and sixth-round S Xavier Wood — to “immediately” have “significant roles” this season if healthy.
- James Kratch of NJ Advance Media writes that the Giants are committed to RB Paul Perkins as their starter.
- Kratch does not think recently acquired Eagles RB LeGarrette Blount would have signed with ithe Giants for a “lowball” contract and committee role.
- Kratch has not heard anything about possible contract extensions for LG Justin Pugh or C Weston Richburg, who are both entering the final year of their contract.
- Though Kratch says it is still a possibility for either to receive an extension, he would “surprised” if Pugh gets an extension, considering that the Giants would like to see if he can remain healthy for a full season.
- Kratch could see Richburg playing out his contract in order to maximize his market value after this season.
- In the end, Kratch thinks the team could still re-sign Pugh and Richburg to avoid problems along their offensive line. Additionally, Kratch writes that LB Devon Kennard is an extension candidate that “makes sense” for the team.
- Kratch says “the vibe” from the Giants is that they “would like” OT Bobby Hart to win the right tackle job, while D.J. Fluker could beat John Jerry for the starting right guard role.
- Panthers K Graham Gano has been medically cleared from his offseason heel surgery and is expected to participate in OTAs. (Bryan Strickland)
- Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune writes that reaching the playoffs could be “lofty expectations” for the Saints and he could see them finishing around 8-8, depending on their defensive performance.
- Holder would “hold off” on signing S Kenny Vaccaro to a long-term extension until after the season in order to reevaluate his value leading into free agency.
- A reason for not re-signing Vaccaro is the presence of former second-round picks S Marcus Williams and S Vonn Bell.
- Holder mentions LSU WR Travin Dural and Utah LS Chase Dominguez as two undrafted free agents that could make the Saints’ roster.
Tags Bobby Hart Chase Dominguez Chidobe Awuzie D.J. Fluker Devon Kennard Graham Gano John Jerry Jourdan Lewis Justin Pugh LeGarrette Blount Marcus Williams Orleans Darkwa Paul Perkins Ryan Switzer Shane Vereen Taco Charlton Travin Dural Vonn Bell Wayne Gallman Weston Richburg Xavier Woods Zack Martin