NFL Notes: Cowboys, Jaguars, Jets
- Todd Archer of ESPN mentions a number of ways the Cowboys could free up cap space, including restructuring TE Jason Witten‘s contract to open up $4 million, gain $5.1 million by trading Tony Romo or $14 million by making a post-June 1 release, and pick up $5.1 million by placing OT Doug Free on the reserve/retired list.
- Archer is unsure if the Cowboys would consider drafting a safety at No. 28 like Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers since safeties do not normally get paid a lot in DC Rod Marinelli‘s system.
- Archer notes that this could have been a factor in the team’s decision to let safeties Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox depart through free agency.
- Archer mentions the Cowboys’ decision to not pursue DE Chris Long in free agency could be due to the presence of Tyrone Crawford, DeMarcus Lawrence, David Irving and Benson Mayowa. Beyond that, they also are hopeful that DE Charles Tapper can contribute more this year.
- According to Michael DiRocco, Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell “genuinely believes” QB Blake Bortles will correct his mechanics and continue to be the team’s quarterback moving forward.
- However, DiRocco writes that if Caldwell, executive Tom Coughlin, and head coach Doug Marrone don’t believe Bortles is the right guy, they should consider Clemson QB Deshaun Watson with the No. 4 overall pick.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN could see the Jets trading DE Sheldon Richardson and a draft pick in order to move back into the first round and potentially select a quarterback.
- Cimini notes that the Texans at No. 25 overall are a quarterback-needy team that the Jets would have to trade in front of to grab a quarterback.
- Cimini could see the Jets trading their second-round pick and Richardson to the Raiders at No. 24 overall. However, Cimini notes that New York would ideally hold onto their second rounder and instead package Richardson with their third-round pick.
Tags Barry Church Benson Mayowa Blake Bortles Charles Tapper Chris Long Dave Caldwell David Irving Demarcus Lawrence Deshaun Watson Doug Free Doug Marrone J.J. Wilcox Jabrill Peppers Jason Witten Rod Marinelli Sheldon Richardson Tom Coughlin Tony Romo Tyrone Crawford