- Cyrus Mehri, who plans to challenge DeMaurice Smith for NFLPA leadership, said that he will begin negotiations with the NFL regarding a new collective bargaining agreement as soon as he is elected: “As soon as I get elected in March of 2018, I will start renegotiating the CBA to do what;s right for the players and the game.” (SiriusXM NFL Radio)
- Mehri added that there is currently “no working relationship” between the league and the NFLPA: “Right now there is no working relationship with the union and the league. I want to give the players a bigger piece of the pie.” (SiriusXM NFL Radio)
Although NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said reducing the preseason to “two or three games” would be sufficient, Mark Maske of the Washington Post writes that there isn’t “great urgency” right now to shorten the exhibition games.
“There does not seem to be great urgency among the owners to shorten the preseason, despite what Goodell is saying,” writes Maske. “The preseason “problem,” in the minds of some on the management side, has been addressed by going to variable ticket pricing, by which customers don’t pay as much for tickets to preseason games as they pay for those to regular season games.”
Bears first-round QB Mitch Trubisky said he is still preparing like he is the starting quarterback and that he supports Glennon as the starter.
“I was excited, but it shouldn’t make a difference how I approach things,” Trubisky said, via Jeff Dickerson of ESPN. “You always prepare like you’re the starter and always support your teammates and whatever group you’re in you just continue to make them better and get yourself better. Yeah, it’s all about reps like I’ve been saying. The more I can get the better I should have a feel for things. Whatever group I’m with, just go out there, lead and show them what I can do.”
- Bears HC John Fox said that QB Mike Glennon will start Week 1 of the regular season: “He’s going to start preseason three, which is a pretty good indicator where you start the season.” (Zach Zaidman)
- Glennon said that it is “clear” he is the starting quarterback: “It was clear to me that nothing has changed as far as the depth chart.” (Zach Zaidman)
- Fox announced that RB Ka’Deem Carey underwent wrist surgery and has a six-week timetable for recovery. (Bears’ official site)