An AFC VP of player personnel tells Bucky Brooks that he’s “scared to death” of this year’s quarterback class.
“I’m scared to death of the young guys,” the executive said. “They have talent and upside, but there aren’t any sure things in this [draft] class. I’m also not ready to proclaim either of the veterans as the answer because you really don’t know what you’re getting when they get out of their current systems. If I had to pick, I would take one of the young guys and make sure that the coaching staff has a clear plan for building around their talents.”
- One NFL scout tells Matt Miller of B/R that Wester Kentucky’s Forrest Lamp could be a similar player to Zack Martin of the Cowboys.
- According to Miller, Western Michigan WR Corey Davis is locked in as a top-15 draft pick already.
- Miller has UNC QB Mitch Trubisky rated as his No. 10 prospect, but a personnel director tells him that he has: “Way too many quarterbacks in the top 30. And you’re too high on [Mitch] Trubisky.”
- A rival GM is convinced that the 49ers must and will take a quarterback this year: “Doesn’t matter who the head coach or general manager are, they have to draft a quarterback.”
- Alex Marvez believes the league buzz going around about the 49ers possibly hiring Gus Bradley as their defensive coordinator under Kyle Shanahan would “make a lot of sense.”
- Hays Carlyon reports that former WR Keenan McCardell is at the Jaguars’ facility Friday, presumably interviewing to be their WRs coach.
- Packers HC Mike McCarthy announced Friday that impending free agent C J.C. Tretter underwent knee surgery on Tuesday. (Wes Hodkiewicz)
- Adam Caplan reports that the Seahawks have hired former Bears OLBs coach Clint Hurtt as their new DL coach.
- Adam Caplan reports that the Vikings are hiring Clancy Barrone their as TEs coach and Kevin Stefanski is expected to take over as team’s QBs coach.