Lance Zierlein of NFL.com provided his take on some of the more noteworthy opinions put forth by NFL scouts on the current draft class.
- An AFC quarterbacks coach noted that he has Baylor QB Bryce Petty as his third rated quarterback in the draft. Zierlein added that Petty and UCLA QB Brett Hundley are close, but that Petty showed velocity and did help himself at the combine.
- Michigan State CB Trae Waynes had the best workout of any defensive back at the combine, and Zierlein notes it’d be difficult to predict another cornerback being selected ahead of him.
- An AFC executive commented on how many intelligent prospects are in this class, singling out WVU WR Kevin White, UW RB Melvin Gordon, and Stanford CB Alex Carter.
- An AFC coordinator said that both Clemson linebackers-Vic Beasley and Stephone Anthony– “put on a show” at the combine.
- Free agent QB Ryan Mallett would like to return to Houston and said “hopefully we can get something worked out.” (John McClain)
- The Jaguars are expected to hire former Jets GM John Idzik as a consultant. (Adam Schefter)
- Idzik’s focus will be on “cap, cash spending, etc.” (Ryan O’Halloran)
- The Jets will host CB Travis Lee of Miles College for an official visit. (Tony Pauline)
- The Saints hired Fitz Ollison-formerly with the Dolphins and 49ers- as their Senior Director of Football Communications. (Aaron Wilson)