Draft Insider’s Tony Pauline discussed some of the prospects participating in the pro days at Purdue, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.
- Pauline calls Purdue DE Ryan Russell a sleeper who could end up being drafted earlier than presently anticipated.
- Purdue RB Akeem Hunt tested very positively in the 40 with a 4.37, and in the vertical jump. Hunt is a dynamic athlete who is effective working on the perimeter of the field, and is dynamic in the return game.
- Texas A&M CB Deshazor Everett impressed with a 4.47 forty time, a 6.78 three-cone drill time, and a 38 inch vertical. Pauline notes that he has met with the 49ers, Dolphins and Bears.
- Mississippi State due DE Preston Smith and ILB Benardrick McKinney worked out in both defensive end and linebacker drills.
- Pauline calls Mississippi State TE Malcolm Johnson the “surprise of the day“, and notes that he drew comparisons to TE Delanie Walker.
- The Jets are expected to reach out to DE Trent Cole now that he is a free agent. (Jason La Canfora)
- Cole will likely sign with a team employing a 4-3 front. (Adam Caplan)
- The Falcons are not expected to get in a bidding war for ILB David Harris, despite their interest in him. (Vaughn McClure)
- The Redskins are interested in bringing RB Roy Helu Jr. back, but he will “absolutely” test the free agent market first. (Chris Russell)
- Russell calls it “50/50 at best” that Helu returns to Washington. (Chris Russell)
- The Redskins announced the signing of exclusive rights free agent S Duke Ihenacho.