Home Chargers NFL Notes: Earl Thomas, Cowboys, Chargers, Seahawks
- Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times writes that the odds of Seahawks S Earl Thomas ending up with the Cowboys increased following Dallas’ decision to release WR Dez Bryant on Friday.
- The Cowboys picked up $8.5 million of cap space by parting ways with Bryant, which gives them a good amount of room to make a notable roster move such as acquiring Thomas or signing G Zack Martin or franchise DE Demarcus Lawrence to a long-term extension.
- The Seahawks have made it clear that they’re opening to moving players at the right price, and reports have said that they would like to get a first-round pick in return for Thomas.
- It remains to be seen whether the Cowboys are seriously interested in Thomas, but Condotta mentions that the Cowboys have an appealing first-round pick (No. 19 overall) that could be included a trade for Thomas. Otherwise, Dallas could their second-, third- and sixth-round picks, which would amount to the equivalent of a first-round pick based on the old draft value chart.
- If a trade involving Thomas is to happen before the 2018 season, Condotta says it likely would occur by the upcoming draft.
- Dan Woike of the Los Angeles Times considers Florida State S Derwin James to be an “ideal fit” for the Chargers, but he does not think the safety will slide to them at No. 18 overall.
- Woike suggests Stanford’s Justin Reid and Wake Forest’s Jessie Bates as safety options with the Chargers’ first-round pick.
- According to Woike, the Chargers have enough depth at cornerback to make Jason Verrett, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract and is coming off two knee surgeries, available for trade during the Draft.
- Woike believes that the Chargers will be in the safety market “every time they’re on the clock“, but he does not expect them to draft a cornerback until the late rounds.
- According to Brady Henderson, the Seahawks signed CB Dontae Johnson to a one-year, $1.3 million contract that includes a $900,000 base salary, a $350,000 signing bonus and a total of $50,000 in per-game active roster bonuses.