Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban tells Mike Freeman of B/R that if the NFL were to seriously consider expanding the number of teams, it would likely come with a multibillion-dollar franchise fee.
“When you add a team, you have to give them their share of profits,” Cuban told Freeman. “So, teams would split things by 33, not 32. The franchise fee has to be enough to more than pay for the share of revenue teams are giving up. It’s the same reason I voted against expanding in the NBA. …
“The question isn’t whether it’s worth it for the new owner. It’s whether it’s worth it to the NFL owners.”
- Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald hears that the Dolphins’ coaching staff likes Damien Williams and view him as the front-runner for the No. 3 running back job.
- Jackson adds that veteran RB Daniel Thomas could still push Williams for the job.
- According to Jackson, free agent signing Isaiah Pead faces an uphill climb to make the team.
“No, that’s probably not the right impression,” Reich said during an interview with 94WIP Morning Show on Wednesday, via CBS Philadelphia. “I’ve been around this business a long time as a player and as a coach, and one of the things I’ve really come to appreciate is it’s not a contradiction to say you’ve got to have order. Because if you don’t order it’s chaos. So, if you’re the head coach you gotta come in and you’ve gotta establish order. There has to be organization, there has to be order, but the other thing that — as coaches — that you’ve got to establish is a culture of competition. This is one of the most competitive industries in the world and so, to say that there’s not competition, that’s just the furthest thing from the truth.
“So, I don’t see the problem with creating order and competition at the same time, personally,” Reich continued. “Every one of us as a coach and a player, you’re working harder to get better, but in that process you have to establish order and things have a way of working themselves out.”
- According to John Keim of ESPN, the Redskins do not have any interest in free agent RB Arian Foster.
- Keim adds that Washington remains interested in re-signing RB Pierre Thomas.