- Vaughn McClure reports that free agent TE Rob Housler left his visit with the Falcons last night without signing a contract.
- Dan Graziano writes that the Giants’ ideal plan at middle linebacker would be for a healthy Jon Beason to hold down the job. However, the Giants view Jameel McClain as a quality backup.
- Newly signed LB J.T. Thomas is probably the leading candidate to start at weak side linebacker, according to Graziano.
- Graziano mentions that the Giants still need linebacker help, a safety, and more defensive line depth and could target some guys in the draft at these positions.
Oregon QB Marcus Mariota says that he would “love” to play for the Jets.
“I’d love to play for the Jets,” Mariota said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. “Meeting with the offense coordinator and quarterbacks coach was awesome. It was an opportunity for me to introduce myself and it seems like a great organization.”
- David Newton writes that Florida OT D.J. Humphries “makes a lot of sense” for the Panthers at No. 25 overall.
- Newton is convinced the Panthers would have re-signed DE Greg Hardy had the decision been HC Ron Rivera and GM Dave Gettleman’s to make.
- Newton doesn’t see the Panthers signing a defensive end in the coming weeks.
- As for an extension for QB Cam Newton, it’s unlikely that an agreement will be in place this summer, or at least until Seahawks QB Russell Wilson signs his next contract.
- Newton seems to think the Panthers are more likely to target a receiver in the draft as opposed to going after free agents like WR Dwayne Bowe or WR Cecil Shorts.
- Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean writes that the “smart money” is on the Titans sticking with QB Zack Mettenberger as their starting quarterback next year.
- Wyatt expects back QB Charlie Whitehurst to be back with the team next year as HC Ken Whisenhunt “loves him.”