Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports takes a look at five players he believes should be either transition or franchise tagged in the coming weeks.
- According to La Canfora, the five players to watch include Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell (franchise), Vikings QB Case Keenum (transition), Cowboys DE Demarcus Lawrence (franchise), Lions DE Ziggy Ansah (franchise) and Seahawks DT Sheldon Richardson (franchise).
- While La Canfora believes Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry is a very productive player, he says there’s “no way in hell am I placing a tag on him worth $16 million-plus.”
- La Canfora adds that the same goes for Rams WR Sammy Watkins, who he views as more of an $8-$10 million receiver.
- La Canfora says the Panthers should seriously weigh the possibility of tagging G Andrew Norwell, but he admits it could be tough for them to commit $14 million-plus to a guard.
- We have all of these players featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.
After speaking to NFL scouts and executives in recent weeks, Matt Miller of B/R has come up with a list of draft prospects they feel are being overrated.
- The most notable players mentioned as being overrated include Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph, UT-San Antonio DE/OLB Marcus Davenport and Texas OT Connor Williams.
- Regarding Mayfield, a scout tells Miller: “I like Baker. We like Baker. But fans wanting him drafted first overall are off their rocker. I do think he’ll go top 10 because he’s a quarterback.”
- A scout believes Rudolph is the second coming of Bryce Petty: “You have him in Round 2 and I just don’t see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bulls–t scheme. Bryce Petty all over again.“
- Other players mentioned include Colorado State WR Michael Gallup, SMU WR Courtland Sutton, Ohio State DE/OLB Sam Hubbard, Florida State DT Derrick Nnadi, West Georgia OT Desmond Harrison, and Arizona State RB Kalen Ballage.
- The Cardinals have hired Troy Rothenbuhler as their new offensive quality control coach. (Josh Weinfuss)
- Paul Kuharsky reports that the Titans are hiring Matt Edwards to help Craig Aukerman with Tennessee with their special teams unit.
- Kuharsky also hears that Luke Steckel and Mike Sullivan will return in similar roles to what they had under former Titans HC Mike Mularkey last year.
- Steckel served as the Titans assistant WRs coach while Sullivan was their assistant OL coach in 2017.