- Some free agents who could have better than expected interest, according to Peter Schrager, include: WR Pierre Garcon, WR Kenny Britt, TE Jack Doyle, and OL J.C. Tretter.
- While some have laughed at the idea of Johnny Manziel making a comeback, Schrager says that he has fans in the NFL and many believe he’ll get another shot at some point.
- According to Schrager, Bears free agent QB Brian Hoyer could have a decent market as he’s heard multiple sources mention: “Sign a Hoyer or McCown and draft a rookie.“
- Peter Schrager says that Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes appears to be the intriguing quarterback prospect at the Combine. An AFC scout tells Schrager: “Hard to see him playing Year 1, but a blast to watch on film.”
- Stanford DE Solomon Thomas is reportedly generating a lot of buzz at the Combine. In fact, Schrager mentions that personnel guys he’s spoken to actually put him in the same conversation as Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen.
- According to Tony Pauline, the majority of NFL teams he’s spoken to have Cam Robinson, Garett Bolles, Dan Feeney and Dorian Johnson ranked as four of the top-five offensive line prospects. Pauline adds that some teams have Forrest Lamp in that group too while others have Ryan Ramczky and Roderick Johnson.
- In regards to Lamp, Pauline is hearing more and more buzz that he could end up being a first-round pick this year.
- Todd Archer reports the nerve damage in Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith’s knee is regenerating but hasn’t fully returned yet. The good news, according to Archer, is that there is a sensation in Smith’s knee now that wasn’t there last year.
- Brandon George reports that Cowboys TEs coach Mike Pope is retiring from the NFL and will be replaced by senior offensive assistant Steve Loney.
- Jordan Raanan reports that Rob Leonard is taking over as the Giants assistant defensive line coach.
Titans GM Jon Robinson told reporters on Wednesday that they’re “open for business” in regards to their No. 5 overall pick.
“It’s got to be a two-way street, we’ve got to have somebody that wants to move up to that spot, but like I said last year, we’re open for business,” Robinson said, via ESPN.com.
- Terry McCormick reports that the Titans have had some discussions with free agent TE Anthony Fasano regarding a new deal.