Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports takes a look at next year’s free agent class and offers some names who will either break the bank or will be huge risks.
- Players who are in position to secure massive contracts, according to Robinson include: Broncos OLB Von Miller, Panthers CB Josh Norman, Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Chiefs S Eric Berry, and Dolphins DE Olivier Vernon.
- 10 free agents who come with a lot of risk include: Cowboys DE Greg Hardy, Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul, Redskins QB Kirk Cousins, Eagles QB Sam Bradford, Broncos QB Brock Osweiler, Bears WR Alshon Jeffery, Buccaneers RB Doug Martin, Bills G Richie Incognito, Chiefs ILB Derrick Johnson, and Seahawks OT Russell Okung.
- Jason Cole of B/R reports that the 49ers would prefer to have HC Jim Tomsula back next year.
- Management is looking for continuity, but there are reportedly concerns about Tomsula’s ability to control the locker room and get them prepared for games.
- One issue to watch, according to Cole, is whether he’ll be able to bring in solid coaches to his staff given that his future with the team could be in doubt.
- Cole adds that there’s still a chance Tomsula could be fired.
- Jason Cole of B/R reports that the Dallas Cowboys are debating whether to draft a quarterback next year.
- Cole adds that the Cowboys like Kellen Moore, but ultimately view him as just a backup.
- There’s also the future health concerns of Tony Romo, who has dealt with a number of injuries in recent years.
- Sources have said that Jerry Jones would prefer to draft a position player that will help them compete for a title next year.
- However, others within the team believe they’ll need to draft a quarterback to upgrade their backup situation while preparing for the future.
- Jason Cole of B/R mentions that the Saints will need to restructure QB Drew Brees‘ contract in order for him to be back with the team next year.
- Brees has a staggering cap figure $30 million and will make $20 million in base salary and bonus money.
- There’s also the issue of whether HC Sean Payton will be back in New Orleans. Cole doesn’t think Brees would be that interesting in leaving for another rebuilding situation with a new coach.