Raiders first-round CB Gareon Conley explained that his decision visit with Cleveland police last week was “another way to prove my innocence.”
“There’s not more to say about that,” Conley said, via ESPN.com. “We’ll just find out what happens after this. It’s another way to prove my innocence.”
Conley added there is still no timeline for a resolution in regards to the investigation into the rape allegations against him.
“It’s tough to think about it,” Conley said. “I try not to think about it, just worry about what I’m doing out here, right now. Football is like a stress reliever for me.”
- Josh Weinfuss of ESPN writes that if reinstated LB Daryl Washington is healthy and in good shape, and his meeting with the Cardinals goes well, he could make their linebacker corps better in 2017.
- Washington is a former Pro Bowl linebacker and adding him to the Cardinals’ current options — Deone Bucannon, Karlos Dansby, Haason Reddick, Gabe Martin and Alani Fua — would make for a solid unit.
- However, it remains to be seen if the Cardinals will welcome him back after a three-year absence.
- Mike Reiss of ESPN says that it’s his understanding that most of the tryout players for the Patriots departed without deals as of Saturday night. However, tryout K Josh Gable’s status is still fluid, according to Reiss.
- Gable reportedly has an invite from another team to try out for a 90-man roster spot, but Reiss adds that it’s possible the Patriots could sign him.
- Reiss mentions that the recent report that free agent WR Michael Floyd is drawing interest from teams including the Vikings is further indication that he won’t be re-signing with the Patriots.
- New England’s decision to trade for Brandin Cooks essentially closed the door on Floyd returning to the team, writes Reiss.
- Reiss believes the Patriots’ decision to draft OT Antonio Garcia in round three and OT Conor McDermott in round six must have caught the eye of LT Nate Solder. Depending on how they develop, Reiss says it should ultimately determine how aggressive the Patriots are extending Solder’s contract.
- In regards to free agent CB Jason McCourty, Reiss mentions that it doesn’t sound like he’s in a rush to sign with a new team until he’s convinced that it’s the right opportunity for him.