Giants GM John Mara said he is not surprised by the criticism QB Eli Manning has received after their 0-2 start
“So what else is new?” Mara said, via Zach Braziller of the New York Post. “Listen: we’re 0-2 for a reason. There’s nothing I can say to defend that. Obviously we’re hoping to be a little better. We’ll see. It’s a long season.”
Despite the unsuccessful start to the season, Mara believes the team has practiced well and he likes the “enthusiasm” he has seen so far.
“I like the way we’ve practiced, I like their enthusiasm, I like their attentiveness to the coach,” Mara said. “We’ll see if it pays off.”
- Giants WR/return specialist Kaelin Clay (ankle) has been ruled out of Week 3 and did not travel with the team to Houston. (Jordan Raanan)
- Raanan adds that WRs Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard could return punts on Sunday, while WR Cody Latimer will continue handling kickoff return duties.
- Ralph Vacchiano of SNY writes that the feeling around the Jets is that HC Todd Bowles “isn’t really that safe at all,” despite signing a new extension during the offseason.
- Vacchiano says that Bowles is “being watched, evaluated, judged in a way that coaches usually aren’t just three games into a new deal.”
- It’s worth mentioning that Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said a few weeks ago that this season isn’t a “win now or else” or a “playoffs or bust” mandate.
“[He’s] really been eager to get in there and learn everything we’re doing and you know, just try to acclimate himself to what the program is,” Brady said, via Pro Football Talk. “… I think we’re working at it. I mean, look, he’s been here for a few days so we’re working at it every day and every day you try to make improvements. We’re out there – everyone who’s out there is working hard, trying to practice, doing whatever they need to do to understand the playbook, to understand routes, understand how we do things. So we’re just trying to work at it.”