NFL Notes: Giants, Lions, Packers, & Panthers
- Michael Rothstein can see the Lions investigating the possibility of trading down in round one of the draft given that they parted with fourth and fifth round picks for NT Haloti Ngata.
- As for draft needs, Rothstein lists: defensive tackle, the secondary, offensive line, running back and wide receiver.
- Rothstein expects the Lions to draft a cornerback to groom as a replacement for veteran Rashean Mathis.
- Rothstein mentions that Detroit should receive some compensatory picks in 2016 for losing DTs Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley.
- According to Rothstein, signing Ray Rice probably isn’t going to happen for a number of reasons.
- Multiple players have told Rothstein that they expect to run at least some 3-4 sets next year.
- Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin writes that it’s hard to imagine the Packers bringing back WR Greg Jennings.
- Wilde expects Green Bay to eventually reach agreements with DTs B.J. Raji and Letroy Guion at some point.
- The Packers could still bring back FB John Kuhn, but there isn’t a rush given the limited buzz surrounding him, according to Wilde.
- Rob Demovsky of ESPN rules out any sort of trade up in round one from the Packers in this year’s draft.
- Demovsky mentions that the chances of the Packers taking a quarterback in the later rounds of the draft a “high.“
- According to David Newton, WR Stephen Hill won’t be on the Panthers’ practice squad again in 2015. Either he’ll make the team or he’ll be released.
- Newton is getting the feeling that Carolina will target a receiver in the second or third round of the draft.
- For what it’s worth, Newton mentions that they’ve worked out Louisville’s DeVante Parker, Central Arkansas’ Dez Lewis, Georgia’s Chris Conley, Stanford’s Ty Montgomery.
- Newton mentions that the Panthers will target one of four positions in the first round: wide receiver, offensive tackle, running back or a defensive lineman.
- Newton seems to think Denarius Moore would fit the type of receiver they could use, but Carolina could still wait and what’s available in the draft.
- If Newton had to guess at who the Panthers will take in round one, he suggests Florida OT D.J. Humphries.
Tags B.J. Raji Chris Conley D.J. Humphries Denarius Moore DeVante Parker Dez Lewis Geoff Schwartz Greg Jennings Haloti Ngata John Jerry John Kuhn Letroy Guion Marshall Newhouse Ndamukong Suh Nick Fairley Ray Rice Ty Montgomery