Home / Giants / NFL Notes: Giants, Lions, Patriots, & Redskins
NFL Notes: Giants, Lions, Patriots, & Redskins
- Dan Graziano writes that the Giants signing a veteran offensive lineman such as Evan Mathis or Jake Long would immediately improve their depth.
- Graziano mentions that Mathis would be an “instant starter” at guard and would allow them to move Justin Pugh or Geoff Schwartz to tackle.
- As for Long, he would be either a starter or a veteran backup at tackle.
- Mike Rothstein writes that “as long as Riley Reiff is healthy in 2015, Reiff is Detroit’s left tacke.”
Should Reiff get hurt, Rothstein expects the Lions to adjust by moving Cornelius Lucas over to left tackle.
- According to Rothstein, if the season were to begin today, Cornelius Lucas would be the team’s right tackle.
- Rothstein mentions that the Lions do not seem like a landing spot for free agent G Evan Mathis.
- As of now, Rothstein expects Joique Bell to be the team’s starting running back when healthy.
- However, if Bell isn’t able to practice for an extended period of time, rookie RB Ameer Abdullah could take over the top spot.
- Mike Reiss writes that the Patriots decision to waive TE Tim Wright earlier this week was curious move given that it appeared as though he would have an opportunity to compete for the No. 2 tight end job.
- Reiss wonders if there is “more than just pure football considerations” that led to New England parting ways with Wright.
- John Keim has heard good things about undrafted rookie WR Devin Mahina, who has good height but needs to get bigger in terms of strength.
- According to Keim, the Redskins have “some interest” in free agent G Evan Mathis, but he isn’t sure how strong it is.
- Keim gets the impression that Washington plans to start DeAngelo Hall at cornerback and have Bashaud Breeland operate in the slot.
Tags Ameer Abdullah Bashaud Breeland Cornelius Lucas DeAngelo Hall Devin Mahina Evan Mathis Geoff Schwartz Jake Long Joique Bell Justin Pugh Riley Reiff Tim Wright